THE PUDDING INCIDENT

What have you been up to in the kitchen?

Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Slow cooker oatmeal

Hello all,

My name is Tristen and I am a friend of Allison's. Here's my first blog about food. Let me know what you think.

I am a huge fan of Alton Brown & Good Eats on the Food Network. So I tried his recipe for oatmeal cooked in a slow cooker overnight, so it's ready for you in the morning.

1 c. Steel cut oats
1 c. Dried Cranberries
1 c. Dried Figs
4 c. water
1/2 c. Half & Half

Add all ingredients to slow cooker and set cooker on low. Cook for 8 - 9 hours. Enjoy oatmeal in the morning.

As adapted from foodnetwork.com

Ok - so I added all the wet and only the oatmeal because I have fresh fruit to mix in when ready i n the morning. The oatmeal is mushy and some has stuck to the sides of my slow cooker.

I am thinking that because I didn't add the dried fruit I had too much liquid. As for the sticking I think if I butter the sides of the slow cooker first then I won't have this problem.

I really like oatmeal, but don't have the time to fix it every morning.

Let me know what you think I could do to improve the situation.

Thanks for reading,
Tristen

3 comments:

Molzee said...

note to self: try to aquire a slow cooker...

Sounds like a good idea, I too like oatmeal and hate the time it takes............. hm

Momo said...

I'm pretty excited about this. I like good oatmeal, and this seems as though it has potential.
Molzee: Slow cookers = dirt cheap. If they were't made of stone, I'd send you one. I think shipping would cost more than aquisition.

EvilAtWork said...

They make good roasts, chicken, turkey, soups, etc. They make great dinners like below.
2 lb of beef roast, sliced into 1/2 inch thick slices, packet of brown gravy mix, water, some spuds, carrots, onions diced up. Cook on low setting for several hrs. Come home, make biscuits, enjoy good food.
A great side dish for the above = corn casarole.
2 cans mexicorn
1 can white shoepeg corn
1 bell pepper diced and seeded
1 small white onion diced up fine.
1 sleave saltine crackers.
1 small container of parm cheese.
Combine corn, pepper, onion, crushed up saltines and spread in casarole dish, cover with parm cheese and bake at 350 till the top is a nice toasty color.