THE PUDDING INCIDENT

What have you been up to in the kitchen?

Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Beef & Squash Slowcooker recipe

This is not the best recipe. I think it has to do with the amound of onion and the diced tomato. The meat though was the best! I think next time I will just follow a regular beef stew recipe and add acorn squash. I found that the melon baller was instrumental in gutting the squash. If you try this recipe let me know what you think.


Beef with Acorn Squash and Potatoes (Crockpot)

Ingredients2 pounds lean beef, such as round, cubed about 1-1/2-inch
1 acorn squash, peeled, seeded and cut in 1-inch pieces
2 large red potatoes, cubed in 1-1/2-inch pieces
1 large onion, quartered and sliced 1/4-inch thick
1 package dry mushroom gravy mix.
1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes with juice
1/4 teaspoon allspice
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon pepper
2 large bay leaves salt to taste

InstructionsCombine all ingredients in crockpot. Cover and cook on low for 8 to 10 hours.
Yield: 6 servings

3 comments:

Momo said...

Out of curiousity...what's with the Acorn Squash love affair?

Ms.Rollans said...

It is a love affair! I really like squash but prior to this rather disappointing attempt I only knew one way to cook it, and had no idea how to pick squash. This blog inspired me to find out more about the foods I love. Also, this is squash season, which from what I understand is rather short. I haven't picked another veggie to fall for.

Momo said...

:) You are so cute.
I was always under the impression that squash were like root veggies: prolific and gross. Heehee. Oh well, perhaps I will have to try it.