THE PUDDING INCIDENT

What have you been up to in the kitchen?

Sunday, October 23, 2005

The horror of too much garlic

I know that most people do not believe in "too much garlic." Let me tell you its true. Last night I tried Allison's alfredo recipe. Since I love garlic I added some and then tasted, it needed some more. Needless to say that I repeated the taste and add way too much. I added so much that after brushing my teeth and then using Listerine I could still taste and smell the garlic on me. Following dinner we met up with some people for a friend's birthday at a bar. There is nothing worse than waking up with a hangover as your house reeks of too much garlic. Lesson here: beware of the taste and add!

7 comments:

Molzee said...

i miss garlic. i made pesto with too much garlic. it was really good though. garlic doesnt every go away. seeps through your skin

Allison said...

I use garlic in almost everything, and I chop it up fresh. But the odor it leaves on my fingers from handling it can linger for days! Anybody know of any tricks to avoiding that residual stink? Short of a haz-mat suit, I mean...

Molzee said...

From a website:A popular household tip for removing odors from fish, onions, or garlic from your hands is to run your fingers across the blade of a stainless steel knife (the bowl of a spoon is a safer alternative). You can even purchase stainless steel 'soaps', which are just lumps of stainless steel that are about the same shape and size as a bar of normal soap.

Momo said...

I've heard the same thing. I have some knives that are pure stainless steel (handle and all). Next time I cook garlic, I'll give it a shot.

Ms.Rollans said...

Another alternative is to rublemon juice on your hands. I have one of those steel soaps, it just takes up room.

Momo said...

Besides taking up room, does it work?

Ms.Rollans said...

It does work on your hands. I prefer using a citric juice because it will go under my finger nails. Make sense?